Speed Painting Fail

 I felt like getting my paints out and doing a painting in my new A3 sketch book. I hadn't painted for a while and I normally do miniature paintings, 7cm or 5cm canvases or using A7 or A8 sketch books so this is a lot bigger but I thought I'd give it ago.

The only larger canvased I've painted have been pixel art and I wanted to try and paint a more realistic landscape painting. I knew it was never going to be anything special, just a quick painting and I was going to film myself doing it for YouTube and when I have done more hopefully I see an improvement in my work over time.

I went for a late evening sea scene. I added a bit more colour to the sky then what I normally do in that sort of scene. I just kept adding paint till I thought it looked ok which actually never happened and I gave up on the sky and moved on to the sea.

The rest was pretty basic, didn't really have any plan I was just adding paint lol that was probably a mistake and I should actually have an idea of what I want to paint next time before I start. 

When I got to the point of getting fed up I just stopped and that's it, I was done with it. I wasn't at all happy with it but felt there was nothing I would be able to do to make it look good so I left it as is. While editing the footage it hit me what was wrong with it. I feel so stupid, it's such a silly mistake. I painted the sea flowing in completely the wrong direction, it's so obvious now I've noticed it and that's why it looks so wrong. I also should have left out the glow round the moon, It would have looked better without it.

Even though I hated the end result I still put the video up on YouTube like said to record my progress. I don't know when my next large painting will be. I feel a lot more comfortable painting on smaller canvases, but I'm sure it wont be that long before I try another.

So here is the video, I sped it up because even though it didn't take long to do it still wouldn't have been boring to watch.


Thanks for watching
Happy Crafting!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Intro to me and my blog!

 Hi! I'm Kelly, a crafter and artist. I have been making things since I can remember. I have tried my hand at quite a few different craf...