Making Mandalas in GIMP

 GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) now has a feature where you can easily make your own mandalas.


If you didn't know, GIMP is like paint on steroids. you can edit pictures create posters, make gifs and much more and it's free. One of their newer features allows you to easily make your very own mandala drawings. Me personally, I can't draw anything symmetrically so I need a program to do that part for me and this does the job nicely. There are other programs that do this too but I already use GIMP so it was really handy when they brought out this feature.

Once you start up GIMP and get your blank page up you need to go  Windows > Dockable Dialogs > Symmetry Painting. Then in the right hand corner where it says Symmetry click down to mandala. You can then choose the how many points you want and you are ready to go.


 You can now make all the mandalas you wish, the possibilities are endless. You can still use all the tools to create different strokes and colours. 


You can make them as detailed as you want and you don't even need to be good at drawing this next picture was done by literally drawing a small swirl in the centre and because of the symmetry setting it created a nice start to a mandala.


That's all you need to know, off you go a create something pretty.

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Intro to me and my blog!

 Hi! I'm Kelly, a crafter and artist. I have been making things since I can remember. I have tried my hand at quite a few different craf...