Crochet Granny Stitch Dress

 I wanted to make another crochet dress but this one was going to be a bit different. It's going to be another skater style one but with short sleeves. I will using the classic granny stitch for this dress and it will be worked up differently then the other one. Instead of making the back and front separate I will be making it in one piece. Starting with a the neck and working down just using the granny stitch, nothing fancy. This time I was using a nice soft bright yarn.

I started with a chain stitch to create the neck line then moved on to the granny stitch which is just made up of double crochet and chain stitches. I worked the stitches so they made a rectangle. I kept that going until it fit over my head and reached under my arms. Once I reach that point I folded over the rectangle and then only work the granny stitch along the bottom sides opposite the neck line. Then I just work in the round, no more corners until I get to where I want the skirt part to start.


Once I reach that point I started to add increases to make the skirt part flare out so it doesn't come out like a pencil dress. I only increased each row by 4 stitches but it made a good skater dress shape. I'd space out he increases evenly then the next row I'd move the increases so the skirt doesn't form a square. The row after that I wouldn't increase at all, then I would repeat the three rows over and over until I got to the length I wanted. It took just under 2 cakes of that yarn and it worked up pretty quick so I may make more for next summer.

This is the finished dress.


That's it, the flare of the skirt part does look nicer when it's being worn. over all I'm very happy with it and I'm considering making a full length one with sleeves but I'm not sure on the colours or anything so who knows when that will actually happen.

It's now on to my next project.

Happy Crafting!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Intro to me and my blog!

 Hi! I'm Kelly, a crafter and artist. I have been making things since I can remember. I have tried my hand at quite a few different craf...