Making slushies without a machine.

 Not really sure if this is classed as a craft but here goes anyway. 

I have no room in my kitchen for a Slush Puppie machine, I have way too much baking stuff so I don't even have somewhere to store it when not in use either. I do love a slushy on a hot day so I needed an alternative. Slush Puppy brought out pre filled pouches that you could just buy, put in your freezer, smash it up a bit and there you have a slushy. With these they are very limited to the flavours you can get. I liked the idea so I wanted to try and make my own the same way using reusable drinks pouches. It worked so that's how I made my slushies at home. 

This year when checking out the Slush Puppie syrups available I noticed a Slush Puppie kit that looks like exactly how I make slushies so I brought it and tried it to see if it was any different. 

From the looks of it there's going to be no difference from how I make them normally to how this kit makes them that's why I left out the exact instructions of how I make them because it will all be here.

The set comes with a small bottle of syrup, 3 reusable pouches and a small funnel. I got it from B&M for £3 and I think they only had this flavour but it is new so I am not sure if other flavours are available in the kits but they do also sell the syrup bottles separately anyway.

The instructions for these are on the back of the box and on the back of each pouch . Its really simple to make. You mix the syrup with water (the exact amounts are in the instructions) and pour it into one of the pouches. These pouches are a bit bigger then the ones I use myself. I just used reusable drinks pouches I brought in Poundland, They were in a pack of 2 for £1 but they work well so you can use any flexible drinks pouches just a make sure the ratio for syrup to water is 1:5 or 1:4 depending how strong you like it.


Once that's done you just need to pop it in the freezer for 4 hours. So this isn't good if you want a quick slushy but you can always make a few up and leave them in the freezer for when you do want one. All you need to do once it is frozen is leave it at room temperature for a bit then start squeezing the pouch and that's when it turns into a slushy. its then ready to drink.


It is quite a bit of work just to have a slushy but I think its worth it. If you are like me and like your slushy in a cup or glass I would suggest using pouches with a larger opening so its easier to squeeze the slush out because these ones are quite thin and take a lot of work. The Poundland ones are a good size to use. 
One thing that did bug me about this set is it gives you three pouches but only enough syrup to make two. The funnel is also a bit small so you have to pour the mixture in very slowly. Other then that its a good little set but like I said at the beginning you can make this the exact same way with out the set with other cheap alternatives even though the set was cheap itself.

I'm off to enjoy a slushy
Happy Crafting! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Intro to me and my blog!

 Hi! I'm Kelly, a crafter and artist. I have been making things since I can remember. I have tried my hand at quite a few different craf...